Thursday, October 29, 2009

Winter Garden 2009

I can't express my dismay with our garden. The acorns were huge and plentiful this year, hence the squirrels have been working overtime, disturbing roots. Though that's only partially a problem, because most of the beds have netting over them to keep the deer at bay.

All the lettuces we've planted are still infant, though we did try starting them from seed this year. Typically I germinate, then transplant. Radishes are stalled. Kale, chard, spinach, all tiny. The only thing with any sense of growth is our cover crop area. Everything else is stunted.

We did mix in compost we purchased from Down to Earth. I figured it would help if the soil had some extra feeding. It doesn't like it helped at all. I think I'm going to contact a Master Gardener and seek a fix. At the present rate things are growing, we're not going to have much of a yield, which is a bummer.

This is when we eat the most greens annually, and I'm not going to be happy if I don't have a huge mess of kale, chard and spinach to stir fry throughout the winter - let alone the winter salads we enjoy so much.

No comments: